Building Description Hoyt Shoe Company Factory, Manchester New Hampshire

The F.M. Hoyt Shoe Company Factory is located on two parcels of land totaling three acres on the northwest and southwest corners of Lincoln and Silver Streets, approximately 1.5 miles from the city's commercial business district. The property is bounded by railroad tracks on the north and northwest; a two-story brick industrial building built ca. 1892 on the northeast; a four-story brick building now in residential use built in 1919 on the southeast; early 20th century Single-family houses to the south; and a similarly-scaled industrial building to the southwest.

The property consists of two identically factory buildings which face each other across Silver Street. The northern building is the earlier, built in 1892; in the early 20th century, it was greatly enlarged by several additions built onto the north elevation. The southern building (Factory #2) was erected in 1895; it has several small additions on the south and north elevations.

Each of the original factory buildings measures 220x43 feet, has regularly-spaced fenestration consisting of 18/18 wooden double-hung sash set within arched masonry openings and resting on granite sills. Walls are flush brick. Slightly pitched roofs have a deep overhang with exposed rafters. The primary feature of the front of each building (south elevation on #1, north elevation on #2) is a five story, 70 foot projecting tower, centrally positioned on the elevation. The lower four stories of each tower have arched bays; some contain 9/9 sash, and the remaining are blind. Above the fourth story granite beltcourse, the bays continue, terminating in flat tops below a row of arcaded corbeling. The towers peak in a steep hip roof clad with slate, punctured by a shed dormer on the north and south sides, and crowned with iron cresting.

Alterations to the original portion of Factory #1 include some blocked-up masonry openings on the first story of the south elevation and, in the tower, a later loading door which replaced an arched entrance, and a concrete dock in front. On the east elevation, a five-story metal elevator shaft projects onto the sidewalk.

Contemporaneous to Factory #1 is a one-story brick office annex, enlarged to four stories in 1912, with 2/2 sash. Its first story windows are blocked-in, and a recessed entrance was recently created at the northeast corner. Also part of the original factory is a two-story machine shop at the southwest corner. Again, first story windows are blocked-in, but remaining openings contain 18/18 sash. In 1901 the southern 70 feet of the northeast wing was added, designed to match the original building. In 1912 the wing was extended another 150 feet to its present length. Loading docks have been created from windows in two locations along the east elevation, as well as at the northeast corner in the rear of the wing. That same year, a second wing was added. Measuring 130 feet long, it was cantilevered onto an original one-story boiler room in the rear. Both wings are four stories high and forty feet wide, with a shallow-pitched roof and regularly-spaced 18/18 wooden, double-hung sash. Immediately following the extensions of the wings, the courtyard formed on the north side of the factory was covered to a height of ten feet by a roof pierced with six long skylights. Though removed sometime since 1954, vestiges of the enclosure remain near the north wall of the original building; the first story windows of the two wings remain blocked-up. Other structures associated with Factory #1 include a 110 foot yellow brick chimney with "Beacon Shoe" lettered on it and a one-story transformer house adjacent to the chimney.

Factory #2 was never enlarged to the extent as #1. Original to the building is a one-story brick boiler room attached to the south elevation. In 1930 the boiler room was enlarged, and a two-story brick structure and a one-story frame coal house were added onto the rear. A detached one-story brick structure was built in front of the factory that same year, just west of the tower. More recently, a two-story concrete addition was built onto the north elevation, just east of, and partially in front of, the tower, and a covered metal loading platform with a shaft leading to the third story was erected between the tower and "H". A small brick portico near the northeast corner of the front dates from the 1910s, and a detached one-story frame garage was built behind the factory in the 1920s.

The interior of the entire mill complex is open and functionally designed. A single row of square wooden posts supports each floor. Throughout, walls are exposed brick, floors are wooden plank, and ceilings are tongue and groove with exposed beams. The office space in Factory #1 is more elaborately finished, with paneled doors, molded window and door casings with corner blocks, and flat baseboard molding. The offices are reached by a turned staircase constructed of pine. Metal firedoors survive between the original building and later wings of Factory #1. Only one staircase remains in each building within the industrial space; they are simply designed, with a tongue and groove railing and chamfered newel post. With the exception of later paneling in the offices, the interior of the factory buildings is unaltered.

Hoyt Shoe Company Factory, Manchester New Hampshire