This School Campus was abandoned in 1990


James E. Guinn School, Fort Worth Texas
Date added: April 11, 2024 Categories:
Junior High Building East and north facades (1997)

Known as the Southside Colored School until 1917, the James E. Guinn School currently consists of three buildings that date from 1927 to 1954. The James E Guinn School exemplifies the struggle of the black community to provide adequate educational facilities from the founding of the Southside Colored School in the 1890s through the struggle for integration in the 1950s and 1960s. The Guinn School was designed by Fort Worth architecture firms headed by Wiley G. Clarkson, Elmer G. Withers and Wyatt C. Hedrick. The 1953-54 Gymnasium/Shop Building was designed by prominent Fort Worth architect Wyatt C. Hedrick and built just before the integration of Fort Worth schools in the 1950s and 1960s.

The James E. Guinn School occupies a 4.5-acre tract at the southwestern corner of East Rosedale Avenue and I-35W, the South Freeway, on the western edge of a historic, African American community platted in various additions from 1890 to 1909. The number of African American professionals, especially educators, who built a life here, distinguishes the history of this community. Landmark buildings line the neighborhood's historic commercial street, Evans Avenue, and include Mount Zion Baptist Church (1919-1921), Our Mother of Mercy Catholic Church (1929), Our Mother of Mercy School (1931) and several commercial buildings and houses.

Although the Fort Worth School System was established in 1882, African American children were housed in rented school buildings. The Fort Worth School System rented space in several black churches to teach black children within the black community. Minutes from City of Fort Worth Council meetings from the 1880s indicate that space for black students was routinely rented from black churches that included Mount Gilead Baptist Church, Colored Methodist Episcopal Church, and St. Paul's Methodist Episcopal Church. Although Fort Worth was one of the larger school systems in Tarrant County, populations, including the black community, did exist that were not adequately served because of fragmented population growth.

The black community was instrumental in organizing schools for black children, and without the insistence of the black community, black children would not have received a quality education. On 31st July 1894, the "Colored Citizens of the Southside" began a 4-year trek to obtain a formal school for black children on Fort Worth's Southside by presenting a petition to the City Council asking for a teacher for their children. The placement of this school was of utmost importance to the black community because the one serving North Fort Worth was too far for Southside children to walk; thus the demand for a school on the Southside was high. On 25th December 1894, the Reverend Frank Tribune, a Texas evangelist, formally organized the first black Southside School in a building located just east of the Guinn School campus. This early school was most likely housed in space rented from Mount Zion Baptist Church. The citizens were not immediately successful in their quest to have an official school, and space continued to be leased by the city from Mount Zion Baptist Church until 1900. At this time, a building was rented at the present location of the Guinn School.

To address the shortages faced by black students, Professor Alexander Hogg, Fort Worth Public School's first superintendent, hired Mr. Isaiah Milligan Terrell to serve as the Fort Worth School System's first black principal. Professor Terrell's School for Black Children was located at 9th and Pecan Streets. Professor Terrell held at least one degree which was a rare thing in a school system where the majority, if not all, of the teachers were without degrees. His wife, Mrs. Terrell (Emma Patterson), taught at the Lone Oak Public School in 1884, and the Terrells are considered to be among the earliest black teachers officially incorporated into the Fort Worth Public School System. Upon the arrival of Professor Terrell in the school system, black children were still being taught in the churches. In 1896 Alfred (Alpheus) F. Brasher became the principal of the Southside Colored School which was still located in a black church. He graduated in 1893 from Fort Worth's Colored High School, earned his teaching certificate from the Traveling Normal School and served as a teacher under I.M. Terrell in 1894. By 1900, the namesake of the Guinn School, James Elvis Guinn had assumed the principal post in a recently rented building at the corner of Rosedale and Arizona where the current Guinn School stands.

James E. Guinn, a native of Fort Worth, was the second of eight children, and the oldest son of Mr. and Mrs. James Guinn. Mr. Guinn, the elder, was a former slave who moved to Texas in 1863 after President Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation. James E. Guinn's father met and married his wife in Texas. Although his parents could neither read nor write, they had a desire to see their son achieve great success both academically and professionally and were involved in the founding of the Southside Colored School. Guinn attended Fort Worth primary schools, graduated from college with both a bachelor's and master's degree, and obtained a position teaching Chemistry at Prairie View Normal College in Waller County, Texas. James E. Guinn returned to Fort Worth to give back to his community what he had received and became the first black Fort Worth native to serve as a principal in the Fort Worth Public School System. When Guinn became the principal of the Southside Colored School in 1900, the school had two rooms with a capacity for 100 children in grades K through 4th. Cornelia Shreves, a graduate of Bishop College with six years of teaching experience, was Guinn's assistant. Salaries for the school year 1909-1910 ranged from $85 per month for Principal Guinn and from $45 to $60 per month for teachers.

Guinn was actively involved in the building program for the Guinn School. During his tenure, on 31st July 1901, the city purchased Lots 15 and 16 of Block 5 of the Lawn Terrace Addition for $325. In 1904, two rooms were added to the rented Southside Colored School for $517.92. On 3rd January 1907 after discussion of a bond program, the city council agreed to erect a permanent building for the Southside Colored School. On 1st July 1916, a meeting was called of the school system's Board of Trustees to decide how $225,000 in bonds was to be spent. The board decided that $25,000 of the money would go to colored schools. Subsequently, in 1917, the school system purchased lots 3 and 4 of the Lawn Terrace Addition. Unfortunately, Guinn died on 11th July 1917 before construction of the first brick building at the Southside Colored School campus was completed. Ultimately, within that same year, the name of the Southside Colored School was changed to "James E. Guinn," and ten years after the original discussions by the school board, the first brick building was constructed on the Rosedale site.

Growth in the Southside school population, and the corresponding construction that ensued to accommodate it, was due to the overwhelming demand and priority of the black community to educate its children. It was not unusual for the children attending the Southside Colored School to be the first generation in their family to receive a formal education. Ever since 1894 when the Southside Colored School held classes in rented space, there was a heart-felt commitment by progressive people reaching out so that their offspring should have the opportunity for adequate educational advantages. According to community leader Opal Lee, a former Guinn student, "Everybody wanted their kids to go to school at Guinn, and they had especially good teachers who treated you like you were their own. It was really just a big family institution."

Brick construction began on the campus in 1917-18, and by 1937 the Guinn School had four substantial buildings, two elementary and one junior high building, four 2-room frame structures, a gymnasium, and a manual training facility. During the Federal Writers Project of the 1930s, the entire campus was valued at $222,277 and had 32 classrooms, a 400-seat cafeteria, a 1200-volume library, a nurse's room, two boiler rooms, three storerooms, two work rooms, and 1241 students.

The first brick building on the Guinn School campus was built in 1917. This building (demolished) was 3 stories tall, had dark red brick, and contained 11 elementary classrooms. The prominent Fort Worth architectural firm Sanguinet & Staats received the Southside Colored School contract at the 18th September 1916 school board meeting. At this meeting, the architects who included Elmer G. Withers discussed a trip with Clay Johnson, president of the board, to visit schools in Hot Springs and St. Louis. This trip coincided with the construction of a new wing on Technical High School (North Fort Worth High School), also designed by Sanguinet & Staats. On 23rd April 1917, contracts were let on the Southside Colored School, and the school board chose Echols, Ways, Payne as the contractor for a bid amount of $20,600 with an allowed time frame of 16 weeks if new materials were used. If used materials were used, 16 weeks and a sum of $19,000 were allowed. On 16th May 1917, the board decided to use vitrified motele face brick at $15.00 per 1000 from Acme Brick Co. The 1917 building was demolished in 1986 because of its proximity to the South Freeway.

Sanguinet & Staats designed numerous schools in Fort Worth. North Fort Worth High School (1918) is a striking example of a design influenced by the work of Frank Lloyd Wright. Sanguinet & Staats also designed Fort Worth Central High School (1917-1918). For Texas Christian University, the firm designed Brite College (1914-1915), an imposing building with a full-height portico framed by paired Tuscon columns.

Marshall R. (M.R.) Sanguinet of Haggart and Sanguinet founded the architecture firm of Sanguinet & Staats in 1903 with Carl Staats. M.R. Sanguinet (1859-1936) moved to Fort Worth in 1883 and hired Carl Staats in 1898 as a draftsman. Carl Staats came to Texas from New York in 1891 to work for James Reilly Gordon, an architect praised for his Romanesque Revival courthouses found in county seats across Texas. In 1922, Wyatt Hedrick bought a partial interest in the firm, which at that time was renamed Sanguinet, Staats and Hedrick. M.R. Sanguinet retired in 1926 when he sold his interest in Sanguinet & Staats to Wyatt Hedrick. Hedrick continued his involvement in school district architecture including the design of the 1950s gymnasium and shop building at the Guinn School. Sanguinet & Staats designed over 1,800 buildings in Texas and the United States, and the firm is remembered for its contribution to steel frame skyscrapers and as designers of modern, monumental, and classically "correct" structures. Buildings in Fort Worth designed by Sanguinet & Staats include the Knights of Pythias Castle Hall (1901), the Hotel Texas (1920-1921), the Flatiron Building (1907) and the Burk Burnett Building (1913-1914). In the neighboring city of Dallas, Sanguinet and Staats designed the eight-story Wilson Building in the Second Empire style (1902) and the City National Bank (1903). The firm soon became the most prestigious in the state, opening branch offices in Dallas, Houston, and Wichita Falls, employing nearly 50 associate draftsmen, and constructing the most sophisticated and refined buildings in the Southwest.

The second brick building built on the campus is known as the Elementary School Building. Wiley G. Clarkson designed this building that sits just to the west of the original school building site. The contract for this building was awarded on 31st May 1927, but the architect is not identified in the school board minutes. However, a plumbing contract dated 31st May 1927 was prepared by W.G. Clarkson, the architect of the project.

This building had eight classrooms and was designed in a style similar to the first brick building. On 31st May 1927, West & Womach was awarded a $32,000 construction contract to build the Elementary School Building.

Wiley G. Clarkson was born in Corsicana, Texas. After attending the University of Texas for two years, he studied engineering at the Chicago Armor Institute of Technology and architecture at the Art Institute of Chicago. He returned to Corsicana in 1908 and operated a practice there until 1912, when he moved to Fort Worth. From 1919 to 1921 he collaborated with A.W. Gaines. After Gaines died in 1921 he resumed solo practice.

During the 1920s and 1930s, Clarkson designed a wide variety of commercial works in Fort Worth, as well as numerous residences in the Ryan Place and Rivercrest sections of the city. Clarkson's early buildings were characterized by historical revival styles: Neoclassicism, Gothic, and Italianate. During the late 1920s, he began to experiment with the new Moderne or Art Deco idiom, and over the next decade, he produced many of Fort Worth's best examples of that style. Schools designed by Clarkson include W.C. Stripling Middle School (1927, eclectic Georgian Revival), Northside High School (1937, Moderne), Lily B. Clayton School (1922, Italianate) and J.P. Elder Middle School (1927, Tudor Revival).

Clarkson was a charter member of the Texas Society of Architects and was president in 1942-43. He was also a founding member of the Fort Worth Chapter of the American Institute of Architects and served as its president in 1948. He died in Fort Worth on May 5th, 1952.

By the fall of 1930, the Strayer Report identified Guinn as the largest black school in the city teaching grades K through 8th on a campus of .9 of an acre. In 1937, a third building was added with eight classrooms and eight special rooms, i.e. a library, laboratory, cafeteria, and domestic science room. The original blueprints for this building were signed on 25th May 1936, and were prepared by the Elmer G. Withers Architectural Company located in the Mid Continent Building in Fort Worth. On 7th July 1936, the school board awarded a $91,781 contract for the Junior High Building. According to Opal Lee, "Guinn was the first really modern school that the community had ... to have a school with maybe 2 or 3 stories, a basement, brick was just out of sight because none of the black schools were that modern ... it was something the community took pride in."

Elmer G. Withers designed many prominent buildings in Fort Worth. During the 1920s Withers worked both as an architect and as an oil operator and investor. In 1923, he went to work for Wiley G. Clarkson, and in 1928 founded his own firm. Withers designed the Firestone Service Garage (1929) and served as an associate architect on the Fort Worth City Hall (1938) with Wyatt C. Hedrick. He also participated in the design of the

Blackstone Hotel (1929) with Mauran, Russell and Crowell. Withers was also an active designer of schools including the prominent Rosemont Junior High School No. 52 (1935). This school building is a Mediterranean-Romanesque design that uses tile, banded courses of brick, and cut limestone. Another school designed in a Mediterranean style by Withers is Hubbard Elementary School No. 33 (1922).

Construction on the Guinn School campus slowed substantially from 1937 into the mid-1950s; however, beginning with the 1948 construction program, district expenditures on black schools were increased. At the 23rd January 1951 meeting, the appraised value of the Guinn School land was $100,000 and of the buildings was $523,000. In 1951 Hedrick and Stanley were appointed as architects to double the size of Guinn's cafeteria. At the 28th May 1952 hearing, a list of 40 architects was presented to the board as available for a new gymnasium/shop building. The board decided that a gym was needed, and the architectural contract was awarded to Wyatt Hedrick on 4th September 1952. The board approved the final plans for the construction of a combination gym, locker, shops, and music room. At the 22nd October 1952 meeting the board denied a request to add two additional shop rooms to the gymnasium project. However, the president of the school board brought the request for the shop classrooms to the board a second time, and the school board approved the school maintenance department to do the work.

Wyatt Cephas Hedrick, an architect and engineer, was born in Chaltham, Virginia, on 17th December 1888. He received a Bachelor of Arts degree from Roanoke College in 1909 and an engineering degree from Washington & Lee University in 1910. He worked as an engineer for Laney Brothers in Alta Vista, VA, from 1910 to 1913, when the Stone & Webster Engineering Corporation of Boston hired him as a construction engineer for the company's Dallas office. He headed his own construction company in Fort Worth from 1914 to 1921, when he became a partner in the architectural firm Sanguinet & Staats, which had offices in Fort Worth and Houston.

In 1925 Hedrick opened his own architecture practice with offices in Fort Worth, Dallas, and Houston. The next year, after Sanguinet & Staats retired, he also bought the remaining interest in this firm. From the 1920s through the 1950s he had an active nationwide practice, and at one time his was considered the third-largest architectural firm in the United States. Hedrick produced buildings in a wide range of historical and modern styles. Among his best-known works are the Shamrock Hotel in Houston (1949), the Sterick Building in Memphis (1930) and the Medical Arts Building in Fort Worth (1926). Hedrick also produced a large number of moderne buildings in Fort Worth, including the Worth Theater (with Alfred C. Finn, 1927), the Lone Star Gas Co. Building (1929), the Hollywood Theater (with Alfred C. Finn, 1930), the Texas & Pacific Terminal and Warehouse (1931), Will Rogers Memorial Center (with Elmer G. Withers, 1936), and City Hall (with Elmer G. Withers, 1938). He also designed scores of schools and facilities for various universities, including Texas Tech, Texas Christian University, Texas Wesleyan College and the University of North Texas. Schools he designed for the Fort Worth Independent School District include Amon Carter Riverside High School (1935-1936) and Meadowbrook Elementary School (1935-1936). He died in Houston of a heart attack on 5th May 1964, and was buried in Fort Worth.

The expansion and improvement of the Guinn School in the 1950s happened in conjunction with improvements at black schools across Fort Worth and must be examined in light of integration efforts. Beginning with the 1948 construction programs, the Fort Worth School System began to pour money into black schools, and this effort continued in the 1952 and 1956 construction programs. According to a newspaper article of the time, in the three building programs, almost $800,000 was allocated. Seventeen-and-a-half percent of all bond money was spent on black schools although only 15.1% of the students in the system were African American. The article emphasizes that the campus improvements have put "complete high school facilities in easy reach of the vast majority of Negro students." There appears to have been a policy to quiet assertions that black schools were inferior to white schools. To address criticisms that the black schools were overcrowded, especially the Guinn School, Carroll Peak, a white school, was designated a black school in 1957. To place this effort in a national perspective, the Brown vs. the Board of Education of Topeka, Kansas decision was handed down in 1954. Up through 1954, Mansfield, a neighboring community, paid to bus black students on Continental Trailways buses to attend high school in Fort Worth. The end of segregation was slow in coming to North Texas.

The Fort Worth School District's resistance to integrate its schools was taken to court in 1959 in a suit filed by Air Force Base Tech Sergeant Weirleis and the NAACP when entrance into a white school was refused the sergeant's 6-year-old daughter. In response, the Fort Worth School Board requested a dismissal of this case because the school board's interpretation of Brown vs. the Board of Education was that the Supreme Court did not say that schools must integrate but that there must not be discrimination in the schools. The school board went on to argue, "For more than 78 years Fort Worth public schools have been operated under a dual system for white and colored. This pattern of procedure has become a fundamental part of the educational process in Fort Worth, and by experience, training, and habit it is part of the culture of all of the citizens, both white and colored." Despite these protests, the end of segregation was in sight.

In 1961 Judge Brewster ruled that a plan for desegregation must be drawn up by the Fort Worth Board of Education and that integration must begin. After two years of preparation, the Fort Worth School Board announced that black residents approved the "grade-a-year" system in which black and white students would be mixed in the first-grade beginning in the fall of 1963. The following year integration would take place in the second and third grades and then in an additional grade each successive year. In February 1963, the U.S. Court mandated integration for Fort Worth. That same year, the school board gave up legal efforts to stop integration. On 4th September 1963, 20 black students entered the first grade in seven previously all-white elementary schools. By 1965 integration was sped up with full desegregation to be completed in three years with elementary-age children attending their home school "without regard to race or color." In the late 1960s and early 1970s the remaining all-black schools including Guinn were closed. In June of 1971 the Federal Courts ordered busing and not until February 1994 was the desegregation order lifted. The end of segregation in Fort Worth did not mean that schools were fully integrated. In practice, schools in predominantly black parts of town remained black, and the same pattern followed in white parts of town.

Classes on the Guinn School campus at the junior high level closed in the spring of 1969, at which time the elementary school expanded to occupy all of the buildings. In 1980, the elementary school also closed, and the students moved to a new, underground, school building located east of the Guinn School campus called the Van Zandt - Guinn Elementary School. The Van Zandt - Guinn school site is the oldest school site in continuous use in the school system.

From 1980 to 1986, the James E. Guinn School campus was used for storage by the Fort Worth Independent School District (FWISD), the school's original owner. In 1986 after FWISD put the property up for sale, the Tarrant County Black Historical and Genealogical Society attempted to purchase the Guinn School to adaptively use the Elementary School building as an archive devoted to black history in Fort Worth. The district failed to secure a buyer, and the campus was leased out for use as a homeless shelter. Since the close of the shelter a few years later, the campus has stood vacant.

Current plans for the Guinn campus include a restoration of the Junior High Building into a home for a Business Assistance Center (BAC), an umbrella organization designed to assist new businesses. The other two buildings will be stabilized pending further demands for space. Funds have been requested from the Economic Development Administration of the U.S. Department of Commerce to be used for the renovation of the James E. Guinn Junior High School Building.

James E. Guinn's academic legacy continues through his children, his grandchildren and the students who filled the classrooms of the James E. Guinn School. These people include community leaders and prominent Fort Worth residents like Dr. Edward Guinn (physician, first black Fort Worth city council member and Guinn's grandson), Dr. Maxwell Scarlett (physician and Guinn's descendent), Dr. Marion Brooks (physician and former Guinn student) and Richard Linton (former student and millionaire).

Site Description

The James E. Guinn School is a complex of three buildings grouped together at the southwestern corner of Rosedale and I-35W, the South Freeway. The South Freeway on the east, the raised Union Pacific Railroad tracks on the west, and Rosedale Avenue on the north isolate the school site. A grass playing field terminates in vacant lots to the south. The 4.5-acre site has little planned landscaping or site amenities. A system of covered sidewalks links the three buildings of the campus. The sidewalk canopy consists of an inverted "V" shape support system built out of round, steel columns. The school buildings sit close to the freeway that separates the school from the neighborhoods that it traditionally served. Although currently in varying stages of neglect, the buildings sustain relatively few alterations to their original design and setting.

The James E. Guinn School occupies a 4.5-acre tract at the southwestern corner of East Rosedale Avenue and I-35W, the South Freeway, on the western edge of a turn-of-the-century African-American neighborhood. Landmark buildings line the neighborhood's historic commercial street, Evans Avenue, and include Mount Zion Baptist Church (1919-1921), Our Mother of Mercy Catholic Church (1929), Our Mother of Mercy School (1931) and several commercial buildings and houses.

The James E. Guinn School Campus consists of three buildings: the Elementary School Building designed by Wiley G. Clarkson and built in 1927, the Junior High Building designed by the Elmer G. Withers Architectural Company and built in 1937 and the Gymnasium/Shop Building was designed by Wyatt C. Hedrick and built in 1953-1954. The architectural style of the two older buildings emphasizes balance and symmetry while the 1950s building is not as articulated as the older buildings.

According to a plumbing contract dated 31st May 1927, W.G. Clarkson was the architect for the Elementary School Building. This building has a rectangular plan with roughly three-to-one proportions. This red brick building is 2 stories tall with the principal, or long, facade facing north toward Rosedale. No additions have been made to this building. The typical window for the entire building is a 12/12 light double-hung, wood frame window. All of the windows are currently boarded. The window openings have white, cast stone sills, and a cast stone strip edges the top of the parapet around the entire building. A line of corbelled brick runs at a point approximately two feet down from the top of the parapet on all facades.

The interior of the Elementary School Building is in poor condition. The roof decking is deteriorated, and parts of the second floor have collapsed due to water infiltration. The interior plan of the Elementary School Building consists of a double-loaded corridor on two levels. Classrooms open off of the central hall through wood doors with four light transoms. A few classrooms have double doors with seven light transoms. Access to the second floor is via two stairways at each end of the corridor. Two 12/12 light double-hung windows are set into the wall of the stairwell.

The main facade is divided into three bays with an entrance bay emphasized by a raised parapet. The central bay has a set of concrete steps that lead up to a centered door that sits in an open vestibule. Decorative brickwork surrounds the vestibule opening, and a cast stone pediment sits over the vestibule. Two small 6/6 light windows flank the vestibule opening. On the second floor, directly above the main entrance, two 6/6 light windows are on either side of a pair of 12/12 light windows. The side bays on the front facade have four, evenly spaced 12/12 light windows on each floor.

The east elevation of the Elementary School Building lacks the symmetry of the main facade. On the ground floor, a centered, double wood door with divided light in its upper third has two small windows to its immediate right. A second door occurs at the building's right-hand corner. On the second floor, a pair of 12/12 light windows sits directly above the ground floor entrance. A set of two windows is in line with the two small windows on the ground floor.

The most notable feature of the south elevation is a brick chimney flue that rises above the parapet wall. The fenestration pattern on the south facade consists of 12 regularly spaced 6/6 light double-hung windows per floor. Two cast-stone drinking fountains sit at the lower corners of this facade.

The west elevation is similar to the eastern facade. The fenestration pattern of two pairs of windows and a door in the corner is identical. There is also a pair of 12/12 light windows centered on the second floor; however, as this is a secondary elevation, there is no covered entrance into the building on this side. Cyclone fencing encloses a light well into the basement of the building.

According to the original blueprints, the Elmer G. Withers Architectural Company designed the Junior High School Building built in 1937. The Junior High School Building has a long, rectangular plan with proportions that are roughly eight to one. This light red brick building is 2-stories tall with the principal facade facing the South Freeway. The original drawings reveal a rectangular plan with 2-stories on the east or front half of the building and 1-story along the rear half. Additions to the rear of this building were made in 1951 by Wyatt C. Hedrick. All windows and doors are boarded, but the typical window is a 12/12 light double-hung wood window. All windows have cast stone sills, and a cast stone band runs across the top of the second-floor windows on the north, east, and south facades.

The interior of the Junior High Building has been neglected. Original 1936 blueprints for this building indicate that the first floor had a general science laboratory, three classrooms, a library, a kitchen, a cafeteria, and a general shop room on a double-loaded corridor. The blueprints also have detail sheets that specify built-in cabinets and chalkboards as well as worktables and corridors. On the ground floor, the floor is tiled in a red quarry tile that is in remarkably good condition, a green-hued wainscot tile covers the wall to approximately five feet from the floor and lockers line the corridor. The interior wood doors have transoms. Several of the classrooms have what appear to be original chalkboards and built-in storage cabinets. Access to the second floor is via two stairs at either end of the corridor. The stairs are at right angles to the corridor. The second floor had six classrooms and a domestic science room.

The principal facade faces east and lies parallel to the South Freeway. This facade is a six-bay composition with two 1-story entrance pavilions at the second and fourth bay positions. The identical entrance pavilions are the most significant element on this facade. The entrances project slightly both in plan and in elevation. Stairs lead up to a classically appointed doorframe built out of cast stone. Two pilasters with acanthus leave capitols frame the entry vestibule. A segmental pediment caps the doorframe. The words "James E. Guinn" are set directly beneath the cornice and between the pilasters. The recessed doors have wood transoms of six divided lights. Two windows frame the doorframe, and three windows are centered above on the second-floor level. The cornice that extends the length of the building deepens and projects over the entrance bays. The parapet over the entrance bays is also embellished with four brick piers. The 1936 blueprints show balustrades over the entrance pavilions that were not realized. The three other bays are much less articulated and have a window fenestration pattern that emphasizes an even pattern of 12/12 light windows on both the first and second floors.

The north facade has no doors and has seven windows on each floor. The spacing of the windows consists of two groups of three windows each with a single window at the center position. The uppermost left window has been bricked. All windows on this facade are 12/12 light double-hung windows. A cast stone band runs across the tops of the second-floor windows.

Two additions were added to the west or rear facade of the Junior High Building. The first addition extended the second floor on top of the original 1-story building. This addition is a steel-supported structure with large glass openings. The second addition is a 1-story block that extends the building toward the west. This addition is built out of red brick and has an even pattern of double-hung wood windows. Both additions were likely added in 1951. The entrance used most recently into the building is on the rear facade in the north corner. This entrance has no architectural embellishment.

The south facade of the building has three planes that progressively step back from the plane closest to the freeway. There are three windows on the first floor in the original part of the building. Directly to the east is a service door on a recessed plane. The south facade of the addition on the rear facade has a four-part opening on the ground floor. The cast stone band runs across this facade in a line even with that of the primary facade.

The Gymnasium/Shop Building designed by Wyatt C. Hedrick and built from 1953-1954 is the most recently constructed building in the complex. Red brick makes up the walls, and a thin line of cast stone caps the parapet. A steel truss supports the roof. This building faces east onto a plaza and toward the back of the Junior High School Building. In plan, this building consists of a large gymnasium space with a stage along the southern wall. A 1-story wing runs along the western side of the main gymnasium. This section of the building houses the mechanical arts workrooms and classrooms. The interior of the Gymnasium/Shop Building is sparse. The wood floor of the gym has disintegrated while the shop rooms have concrete floors and concrete block walls.

The two-story front facade of the Gymnasium/Shop Building is rather plain in architectural detail. On the ground floor are two, 1-story entrance blocks. A tri-part opening of three very large steel windows is centered on the main wall. The openings are covered with yellow-tinted plexiglass. Wide cast stone piers separate the three windows that are framed by a thin line of cast stone. Set back from the gymnasium is the Shop Building wing. This elevation has two doors set under a brick column-supported overhang. Three windows in between the doors have been bricked. Adjacent to the covered entrance are two boarded windows. On a level above the overhang are five evenly spaced, boarded windows that provided light to the mechanical arts classrooms.

The south facade of the gymnasium has two large louvered windows at each corner of the second floor. These windows overlook the gymnasium space and provide light. A stretch of the covered walkway abuts the building along this facade. The 1-story mechanical arts section of this building adjacent to the railroad tracks consists of a wall of steel windows framed by two brick walls. A base of brick runs beneath the windows.

The west facade of the building is difficult to access because of its proximity to a raised railroad bed. This facade is a tri-part design with a raised central section being approximately three feet higher than each side section. The section to the right has one boarded steel window that sits close to the central section. The raised, central section has two rows of steel, six light windows that are hinged along the upper edge. The windows are rather small measuring roughly two feet by two feet. There are eight of these windows on the first floor and eight on the second floor.

The north elevation of the gymnasium has two large window openings in the upper corner position. This elevation is similar to the east facade. The covered canopy runs along the ground floor. The north facade of the shop wing is a 1-story brick wall without fenestration.

James E. Guinn School, Fort Worth Texas Junior High Building, (date unknown)
Junior High Building, (date unknown)

James E. Guinn School, Fort Worth Texas 1917 Building (demolished), (date unknown)
1917 Building (demolished), (date unknown)

James E. Guinn School, Fort Worth Texas Junior High Building South facade (1997)
Junior High Building South facade (1997)

James E. Guinn School, Fort Worth Texas Junior High Building East facade entry detail (1997)
Junior High Building East facade entry detail (1997)

James E. Guinn School, Fort Worth Texas Junior High Building East and north facades (1997)
Junior High Building East and north facades (1997)

James E. Guinn School, Fort Worth Texas James E. Guinn School Campus (1997)
James E. Guinn School Campus (1997)

James E. Guinn School, Fort Worth Texas Gym/Shop Building East facade (1997)
Gym/Shop Building East facade (1997)

James E. Guinn School, Fort Worth Texas Elementary School Building North facade (1997)
Elementary School Building North facade (1997)

James E. Guinn School, Fort Worth Texas Junior High Building West facade (1997)
Junior High Building West facade (1997)

James E. Guinn School, Fort Worth Texas Playing field (1997)
Playing field (1997)