The Hermitage - Andrew Jackson House, Nashville Tennessee

Date added: June 22, 2021 Categories: Tennessee House Mansion Plantations & Farms
1972 Double parlor, looking northwest

The Hermitage and five hundred acres of adjoining land were bought by the State in 1856. It is believed that the brick building was begun in 1818.

In 1831 the following additions were made: the portico on the north or rear elevation; the east and the west wings; a new roof and a new kitchen; There seems to have been no architect for these additions, but reference is made to Joseph Rief, who made up estimates, and to Austin, a brick mason. A Col. Earle is mentioned as an important factor in laying out the formal gardens. In 1834 General Jackson in a letter to Andrew. Jackson Jr. approved of additions and improvements named by Major Lewis and Col. Love to cost $3,000 or a little more.

In 1834 a fire did considerable damage and replacements were made at a cost of $5,125. The walls of tne house were not much damaged because they were originally well built.

Records show that, on August 23, 1804, a portion of land on which the Hermitage stands was bought from Nathaniel Hays, this being the same land as deeded to Nathaniel Hays on April 17, 1786, by the state of North Carolina. At this time there were a few log houses on the site. Considerable remodelling was done. A group of houses consisting of a block house two stories high and three small one story houses were constructed. The large block house on the first floor had one large room, twenty-four by twenty-six feet, with a huge fireplace, and a lean-to at the back for a pantry and bedroom. The large room, used for kitchen, dining room and living room, had a large table in the middle seating from twelve to fourteen people. The table was always set. The block house served the Jackson family until 1819, when the brick house was completed.

Much furniture and equipment was brought back from Pensacola, Florida, when General Jackson was appointed Governor of the Floridas. In 1824 the chapel was built, most of the work having been done while General Jackson was in Washington as senator from Tennessee.

The Hermitage is owned by the state of Tennessee and is under the control of the Ladies' Hermitage Association.