Daniel T. Swinburne House, Newport Rhode Island
This is a two story, frame Gothic Revival house. It is one of the best preserved examples of a type seen in several mid-19th-century sections of Newport and elsewhere.
The Newport Directory 1863 lists Daniel T. Swinburne on Greeno Place near Ayrault Street. The 1859 Dripps survey map of the city of Newport shows this land vacant. The 1860 Hammett survey map also shows this property as undeveloped. The 1870 Beck survey map shows the house. The 1876 Hopkins survey lists the house as belonging to the Daniel T. Swinburne heirs. Stylistically the house could date ten to twenty years earlier. But if it were built before 1860, it must have been moved to this site. There is no documentary evidence to suggest this house was moved. It simply seems to be a later example of this type.
Over-all dimensions: About 36 feet plus bay windows by 30 feet plus rear ell; 3 bays; two stories.
Floor plan: The house has a central hall with the front parlors to the left and right. The parlors open into the east and west bays through Gothic archways. There is a small study at the right rear. The rectangular dining room is located at the left rear. The kitchen and pantry are in the rear wing. The second floor follows a similar arrangement.