Building Description Quaker Oats Cereal Factory, Akron Ohio
The following is a description of the present and original (if known) physical appearance of structures within the Quaker Oats Cereal Complex. Building identification corresponds with structures identified on the map below.
A. Elevator and Silo Compex "D". Built 1910. It consists of a battery of 45 grain storage bins, 12 feet inside diameter, 81 feet high. Six inch walls. Capacity of 320,000 bushels. Removed as part of silo hotel development in 1979-80.
B. Elevator and Silo Complex "B". Building 1932. It consists of a battery of 36 reinforced, concrete poured in place grain storage silos laid out in an el shape. Approximately 1,400,000 bushels capacity. These have a 24-inch concrete paid under the entire area. Construction of silo walls is 7-8 inches reinforced concrete, 124 feet high. Inside diameter is 24 feet, for 24 bins; 24 feet, 6 inches inside diameter for 12 bins. They were constructed in one continuous pouring operation that lasted three weeks.
C. Elevator and Silo Complex "C". Built 1940. It consists of 20 reinforced concrete grain bins. Elevator section contains stairs, and passenger elevator to top of section contains stairs and passenger elevator to top of silos. Capacity of 300,000 bushels. Silos are 14 feet, 8 inches inside diameter by 132 feet, 9 inches high, 7 inches thick. With the cupola, the total height is 218 feet.
D. Upper Grain Conveyor System, Silo Complex "B". Built 1932 in cojunction with Silo Complex "B". That portion of this steel and concrete structure extending from the top of the bins on Silo Complex "B" across the top of Silo Complex "D" to the top of Silo Complex "C" was added with the construction of Silo Complex "C" in 1940. The bridge portion was removed in its entirety while only the outside sheeting was removed from that portion atop Silo Complex "B".
E. Scratch Grain Building One. Built 1886. This is a one-story and basement building. Brick walls, wood and steel framed, wood deck roof. Unfinished interior. Concrete basement floor, wood first floor with steel plates. Size is 53 feet, 6 inches by 68 feet, and an addition of 14 feet, 6 inches by 56 feet, 6 inches. Area per floor is 4,399 square feet. Total area is 8,798 square feet. Deteriorated and slated for removal as part of the Silo Hotel project.
F. Scratch Grain Building Two. Upper three floors added in 1941. Original construction unknown. It has four levels of brick and concrete construction. Lower level has a concrete floor; upper floors are concrete slab on steel framing. Size is 39 feet by 53 feet, 6 inches. Area per floor is 2,089 square feet. Total area is 8,346 square feet. Deteriorated and slated for removal as part of the Silo Hotel project.
G. Rail Car Loading Shed. Built 1940. A steel frame structure with corregated sheet metal facing served as a protected siding area. Used for rail car dumping. This area is partially enclosed. At present functioning as a gallery/entrance to the rehabilitated structure serving as a retail-office complex.
H. "Dry House". 65 feet by 95 feet with a concrete super structure and masonary walls. It consists of five levels. The structure has been rehabilitated for retail and office use.
I. Cereal Mill Building. 90 feet by 100 feet. Four levels plus an 18-foot basement. Heavy timber and beam interior structure. Masonary exterior of 12-inch thick walls, post generally on 14-foot centers. Floors made of 2 by 6's, arranged vertically and spiked together side to side, covered with hardwood flooring. Adapted for reuse as retail and office space.
J. "Corn Puffs" Building. 42 feet by 90 feet, with matching foot-thick masonary exterior. Interior structure is steel frame and poured in place concrete flooring. Adapted for reuse as retail and office space.
K. Cleaning House. 49 feet by 90 feet. Five level timber post and beam construction with masonary walls matching. Adapted for reuse as retail and office space.