Lehigh Valley Railroad Station, Cortland New York
The formal opening on Tuesday, April 4, 1911 was celebrated with gifts of postcard pictures of the station and a lengthy article in the Cortland Standard, the local paper.
The following description appeared in the Cortland Standard on March 29th, 1911 -- "The passenger station is 155 feet long and 50 feet wide, including the pavilions or projecting roofs over the platforms and is two stories high. It is constructed of brown vit rified rockfaced brick for the base course extending up to the window sills, where there is a belt course of hunmel stone, brown-stone trimmings. From the belt course to the roof, including the second story, the walls are composed of hollow tiles with cement stucco finish. The brackets, canopy beams, etc., are of yellow pine stained Flemish green and varnished. The canopy lanterns are of black iron.
On the ground floor is the general waiting room, 23 by 25 feet, a women's retiring room twelve and-one-half feet square, a smoking room and a ticket office 26 by thirteen and one half feet.
The waiting room is finished with paneled wainscoting and beam ceilings done in chestnut, stained Flemish green and finished flat. The floor throughout is of marble terraazo. The settees match the wainscoting and are heavy in construction. The walls are tinted cream color and the paneling is painted green.
The lighting fixtures, which were installed by Southwick & Company of Cortland, who did all the electrical work, include square bronze electroliers and side brackets finished in Ponibian [sic] green.
The women's room is finished similar to the general waiting room. On the west wall is a handsome full length pier glass mirror, which will be appreciated by all women patrons of the road. The room is also furnished with mission chairs, table, etc.
West of the rooms described is a passageway extending across the building separating the main part of the station from the baggage room, which is 15 feet wide, 25 feet long, well lighted, provided with sliding doors and a concrete floor.
On the second floor are four offices, two either side of a dividing hall, for train dispatching, telegraphing, administration purposes, etc.
The station is provided with a tile roof finished with terra cotta hip and ridge rolls. On the east or Main Street side the canopy or roof extends for 34 feet over the platform.
A cellar 18 by 26 feet under the central part of the station furnishes the necessary room for the heat apparatus, etc.
The station is heated by steam throughout and lighted by electricity, and standpipes and an abundant supply of hose provides fire protection. A concrete platform surrounds the station."