Clyde Leek Round Barn, Dakota Illinois

Date added: May 01, 2023 Categories: Illinois Barn Round Barn
 (1983)

Before it was demolished in the late 1980s or early 1990s, this round barn was the oldest known survivor of the uncommonly large number of round barns built in Stephenson County. The barn was built in 1903 for Otis Garbrich by the team of Jeremiah Shaffer and the Haas brothers. It was demolished and a ranch style house was built in its place.

This 45-foot diameter barn rests on a poured concrete foundation on whose south floor the construction date is inscribed. The barn is enclosed with "drop-siding". The loft is supported by a centrally located tree stump on top of which joists radiate in spoke-like fashion. The roof is conical and is surmounted by a tall thin cupola. This roof and cupola profile contrasts with the round barns known to have been built later, namely, the Bruce, Fehr and Otte Barns. Their roof is single-hip and has a cupola that is wider and shorter. Entrance to the loft in the Leek barn is on the north quadrant. Animal entrance is on the south side beneath a protective "overshoot".

Clyde Leek Round Barn, Dakota Illinois  (1983)
(1983)

Clyde Leek Round Barn, Dakota Illinois  (1983)
(1983)

Clyde Leek Round Barn, Dakota Illinois  (1983)
(1983)

Clyde Leek Round Barn, Dakota Illinois  (1983)
(1983)