Marietta and North Georgia Railroad Train Station GA


Mineral Bluff Depot, Mineral Bluff Georgia
Date added: February 24, 2024 Categories: Georgia Train Station
Trackside (north) and east facades (2006)

Attempts to establish a railroad through north Georgia were made as early as 1846 when the "Etowah Railroad" was chartered by the state legislature, but never built. In 1854, a second charter was granted for the "Ellijay Railroad" which was also not built. In 1859, a state-funded bill was submitted for the "Marietta, Canton, and Ellijay Railroad" but the beginning of the Civil War in 1861 put plans for the North Georgia line on hold. In 1870, the state legislature authorized funding for the "Marietta and North Georgia Railroad," and by 1879, the railroad was constructed to Canton. The Mineral Bluff Depot was built in 1887, the year after the Marietta and North Georgia Railroad was extended through Fannin County, to serve as the passenger and freight depot. Passenger service ended in 1949, and the depot was manned by an agent until the late 1950s when freight transport ended.

With the ability to move freight through the north Georgia mountains, the town of Mineral Bluff grew and prospered in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The major industries were the Union Tannery and timber and mining companies, all of which benefited from the railroad.

Mineral Bluff is located in the central part of Fannin County, 92 miles north of Atlanta, and five miles north of Blue Ridge, the county seat. This part of Fannin County was first settled for agricultural purposes and Mineral Bluff is one of the county's oldest towns.

The Marietta and North Georgia Railroad completed its route from Marietta, the county seat of Cobb County, to Blue Ridge in 1886, and the railroad came through Mineral Bluff in 1887.

Attempts to establish a railroad for North Georgia were made as early as 1846 when the "Etowah Railroad" was chartered by the state legislature, but was never built. In 1854, a second railroad obtained its charter from the legislature, but the "Ellijay Railroad" was not built either. In 1859, the name changed to the "Marietta, Canton and Ellijay Railroad' and a state-funding bill for its establishment was introduced in the legislature. Unfortunately, the Civil War began in 1861, and all plans for the railroad were put on hold.

After the Civil War, interest in a railroad for North Georgia was renewed. In 1870, the legislature authorized loan funding for the Marietta, Canton and Ellijay line. The railroad's name changed again with the new name being the "Marietta and North Georgia Railroad." Local fundraising began in November 1879, and the railroad opened in Canton, the county seat of Cherokee County.

The railroad came through Mineral Bluff in 1887 and the Mineral Bluff Depot was built by the Marietta and North Georgia Railroad to serve as a passenger and freight depot. Mineral Bluff was at this time a well-developed town, although unincorporated. In 1898, the city of Mineral Bluff with a population of approximately 300 was incorporated.

The depot was the focal point for transporting local items including lumber and other agricultural products. The depot was manned by an agent and had full-fledged service until the late 1950s. Passenger service was terminated on March 1st, 1949.

Mineral Bluff was mainly an agricultural and mining town. Industries in the town included the Union Tannery with its rail spur, various timber companies, and marble and slate mines.

Mineral Bluff Depot is currently owned by the Georgia Department of Transportation and leased to Fannin County. The depot is currently being rehabilitated through a Transportation Enhancement Activity (TEA) grant for use as a railroad museum and excursion destination.

Building Description

The city of Mineral Bluff is located in Fannin County in central North Georgia approximately five miles south of the Georgia-Tennessee state line and five miles north of the city of Blue Ridge, the county seat.

The Mineral Bluff Depot is located on the (now abandoned) CSX rail line in downtown Mineral Bluff. The one-story, rectangular, brick building was constructed in 1887 as a passenger and freight depot. The building has a side-gable metal roof with wood knee braces and round-arched window and door openings. There are brick pilasters separating the bays and at the corners of the building. The passenger entrance faces Railroad Avenue and the freight entrance and platform face the rail line. The original windows, transoms, and entrance doors are no longer extant.

Historically, the interior of the depot was divided into a passenger waiting room, office, and freight room; due to deterioration and alterations, historic interior finishes or materials were removed during stabilization activities preceding the proposed rehabilitation of the building.

In federal fiscal year 1996, a Transportation Enhancement Activity (TEA) grant was given for the rehabilitation of the depot. A concrete floor was poured as part of the project.

Mineral Bluff Depot, Mineral Bluff Georgia Street-side (south) and east facades (2006)
Street-side (south) and east facades (2006)

Mineral Bluff Depot, Mineral Bluff Georgia Street-side (south) facade (2006)
Street-side (south) facade (2006)

Mineral Bluff Depot, Mineral Bluff Georgia Street-side (south) and west facades (2006)
Street-side (south) and west facades (2006)

Mineral Bluff Depot, Mineral Bluff Georgia Trackside (north) and east facades (2006)
Trackside (north) and east facades (2006)

Mineral Bluff Depot, Mineral Bluff Georgia West facade (2006)
West facade (2006)

Mineral Bluff Depot, Mineral Bluff Georgia Detail of trackside of depot and platform (2006)
Detail of trackside of depot and platform (2006)

Mineral Bluff Depot, Mineral Bluff Georgia Detail of freight door on south facade (2006)
Detail of freight door on south facade (2006)

Mineral Bluff Depot, Mineral Bluff Georgia Former freight room (2006)
Former freight room (2006)

Mineral Bluff Depot, Mineral Bluff Georgia Interior of depot (2006)
Interior of depot (2006)

Mineral Bluff Depot, Mineral Bluff Georgia Interior of depot (2006)
Interior of depot (2006)

Mineral Bluff Depot, Mineral Bluff Georgia Freight door (2006)
Freight door (2006)