Trolly Barns and Office Building New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad Passenger Station, Stamford Connecticut

The Stamford Street Railroad Company Trolley Barn was constructed in 1902-1903 to replace the original carbarn built in 1886 which was located on Liberty Place (Woodside Street). The original building collapsed during a windstorm in 1910, by which time the new barn had been in use several years.

The barn is a two-and-a-half story brick structure with minimal detail. The pitched roof is capped with a monitor. The' east and west facades have segmental arched windows set in bays separated by brick pilasters. The north and south facades sport round gable windows surrounded by a decorative brick pattern.

The original repair shop was located to the east of the main building, set back from the north facade, adjoining the car barn. It was used for bus repair.

An addition to the west facade of the barn was constructed in 1924 to accommodate buses. The structures served both trolley and bus functions until November 1933 when trolley service was discontinued. At that time the Connecticut Transit Company acquired the original trolley structure to house its buses, and for all practical purposes abandoned the structure to the west.

The barn was altered again after World War II when the lintel was lowered, the spandrel bricked in, and the doors were revamped to accommodate aluminum overhead garage doors. The inspection pits in the barn floor were covered over at the same time. The original truss work was not altered and remains today as originally built.

The two-and-a-half story Trolley Office Building stands northwest of the barn. The granite sills of the trabeated windows have been painted white as has the trim of the lunette window in the north facade and the cornice. A transit company dispatcher's office and operator's lobby occupy the first floor while offices occupy the second floor.