New Canaan Railroad Station, New Canaan Connecticut
Built in 1868, the New Canaan Railroad Station is one of the last remaining vestiges of the New Canaan Railroad and is also one of the earliest surviving railroad stations in Connecticut. The accompanying train sheds are rare survivors in the state. Its Gothic-Revival-style architecture is not a mode usually employed in train station design in the state.
The Gothic-Revival style structure was located approximately 80 feet east of its current location until the 1880s, when it was moved to its present site and a baggage room was added on the southern side of the station. The easterly canopy was constructed in the 1880s as well, while the westerly canopy was not built until c. 1915. Over time, the interior of the building has been altered to add bathrooms and an office for a taxi company.
Oriented north-south facing the railroad tracks, the station is set back from the adjacent streets and surrounded by parking lots. The cross-gabled station is four bays wide and one bay deep. The exterior of the board and batten Gothic-Revival style structure is fenestrated with a variety of diamond-paned casement, and double-hung sash windows. In the gable ends are king-post peak ornaments with trefoil and foliate decorations. A finial surmounts the roof peak of the north and south elevations. The eaves are supported by brackets with trefoil ornament. The canopies consist of unevenly sloped gable roofs supported by triangular cross bracing and chamfered posts. To simplify the transfer of freight from train to wagon, posts on both sides of the station were removed, replaced by steel tie rods. All but five bays of the easterly canopy were removed in 1975 to provide space for a high level platform, while the westerly canopy has retained its full 12 bays.