Architect Bradford L. Gilbert

Bradford L. Gilbert (1853-9/1/1911) New York City, New York

A native of Watertown, NY, Mr. Gilbert received an architectural training in the New York office of J. Cleveland Cady. At the age of twenty-three he was appointed official architect of the New York, Lake Erie and Western Railroad, and in that capacity designed a number of the company's stations. Later he remodeled the old Grand Central Station in New York, supervised the erection of the Northern Pacific Railway offices at St. Paul, MN, and at one time served as Consulting Architect to a number of the main railroad companies.

Gilbert designed stations for at least twenty-five railroads, including ones in Canada and Mexico, from the 1870s to at least 1903. His masterpiece was the Richardsonian Romanesque Illinois Central Station in Chicago, built in 1892-93.

During subsequent years, Mr. Gilbert maintained an independent office in New York engaged in practive of a general nature. His work included office buildings and public structures of various types, noted examples of which were the Tower Building in New York, fifteen stories in height, built in 1898, the New York City Riding Club, the Arms Hotel at Berkeley, NJ, Supervising Architect of the International and Cotton States Exposition which opened at Atlanta GA in 1895, and in 1901 served in a similar position at the South Carolina Interstate and West Indian Exposition at Charleston.