Holy Trinity Church, Milwaukee Wisconsin
This is the third oldest Roman Catholic Church in Milwaukee and was created to serve immigrants from southern Germany and Austria who had settled at Walker's Point, now South side Milwaukee.
The cornerstone of the building was laid July 8, 1849; the building was dedicated September 22, 1850 by Bishop Henni of Milwaukee. The building was originally erected without a steeple which was added in 1862. The interior was renovated in 1863 and again in 1874. The clock with three bells was installed in the tower in 1869. The pipe organ was installed in 1878. The three interior altars were installed in 1890 and were built by Aegidius Hackner of La Crosse, Wisconsin.
Overall dimensions of the building are 57' x 152'. Interior finish is plaster with decorative pilasters, pilaster caps, friezes, ceiling panels, etc., all painted either in solid color, or frescoed in various overall patterns. Celling is elliptical and suspended. Chancel is simple half-circle with chancel arch and two flanking shallow arches for side altars. High altnr and two side altars have elaborate wood re-redos of interesting Victorian Gothic design in natural wood finish touched with gold. Pulpit likewise is of wood with touches of gold and color. Choir loft and organ case at the front of the church are relatively unchanged and are good examples of woodwork of the l870's. Two small sacristics flank: the chancel in the rear.