William R. Rodman House, New Bedford Massachusetts
A fine granite mansion of the 1830's, long inhabited by some of the leading families of New Bedford, typifying the gracious life and prosperity based on the whaling and shipping industries. Attributed to the architect Russell Warren.
Built for William R. Rodman in 1833; sold to Abraham H. Howland in 1865 for $25,000. Later (c. 1907) owned by the heirs of Frederick Grinnell and Horatio Hathaway, and in the 1920's by Walter H. Langshaw;. Presently owned by the Jewish Community Center of New Bedford. Abraham H. Howland was the first mayor of New Bedford.