Structures by State
Structures by Type
Structures by Architectural Style
This was a specially designed building, intended as the fireproof, permanent home of the Army Medical Museum, which was founded in 1862. It housed collection of surgical and medical specimens and a medical library.
It was demolished in 1969 and its collections transferred to Walter Reed Hospital, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology.More...
In 1889, during a booming period of growth and expansion, the citizens of Bay City found that their City facilities were antiquated, cramped and insufficient to serve the needs of a then very quickly growing community. In 1860, the population of Bay City had been only 800. By 1889, the population was over 35,000, Thus the new city needed new facilities. It was planned to build a new building which would serve a combination of purposes. It would be a city hall, a police station and a public library.
On April the 1st of 1889, a public vote approved the selling of $40,000 in City Bonds to cover construction of the new facility. Originally there was a squabble over the site to be selected. In addition to the site which finally won out, other sites under consideration included the corner of Center and Jefferson, which is now Battery Park, and the block of Washington between Fourth and Fifth Streets. There were bitter fights over this, including at least one veto by one of Bay City's mayors. However, the site was finally selected and purchased for $8,500.00.More...
The union station for the street railway transit system was planned to accommodate four private lines as a transfer and terminal point. The project was the subject of much controversy in Congress before its authorization, but the prominent Washington architect, Waddy B. Wood (1869-1944) created an unusually planned building enhanced by the use of fine materials and excellent craftsmanship.
The followjjig is an excerpt from Street Railway Review, July, 1898:
"When the Capital Traction Company of Washington, D.C extended its line in M Street about 18 months ago, to the north end of the Aqueduct Bridge, which connects with Virginia, and affords the only convenient means of access to Fort Meyer (the government cavalry station) and contiguous territory one of the conditions was that the station building at the terminus of the line should be such as to admit of its use by other lines for car storage and for a passenger depot. The most available site for this union station was the west half of the block bounded by Prospect Avenue, 35th, M, and 36th Streets; this is on a steep hill directly north of M Street, the rise being 60 ft. in the block which is only 250 ft. long.